Hidden Slide Menu below on Left James Prosser (March 1898 - December 1898
Caledonian Hotel, Napier
Caledonion Hotel early 1900's

Hawke's Bay Herald, 3 October 1878:

The hotel at the corner of Hastings and Dickens streets, built by Mr Bryson, was opened for the first time on Tuesday evening. It is named the Caledonian Hotel, and its landlord is Mr Robert Bristy, as genial, and pleasant a host as can be met with anywhere. The hotel is a handsome structure, presenting quite an imposing appearance. Its accommodation is of the best class, in every respect suitable for a family hotel. The bar is handsomely fitted up, and the arrangements in connection with it are excellently adapted for the purpose. On the ground floor there are several parlors, a commodious dining-room, 30 feet by 16 feet; a large billiard-room, handsomely fitted up, and containing a first-class table, of Melbourne manufacture a suite of sitting-room and bedroom, kitchen, and other offices. On the upper floor there are fifteen bedrooms and a well-furnished sitting room, with entrance leading to one of the bedrooms. There is also a bathroom and other conveniences. Altogether the hotel is a highly creditable addition to the number of the good hostelries of Napier. We heartily wish Mr Bristy success in his undertaking. The billiard room, we understand, is rented by Mr F. Clarke, who will no doubt secure a large share of patronage.
Hawke's Bay Herald, 4 April 1898: A temporary transfer of the Caledonian Hotel license from Charles Siddells to James Prosser wag granted by the Napier Licensing Committee on Saturday.
 
1898 Wanganui Herald,  29 March 1898:
Mr James Prosser, of  Marton, has taken over the Caledonian Hotel at Napier.

Hawke's Bay Herald, 16 May 1898: About six o'clock on Saturday night a fire was discovered to one of the bedrooms of the Caledonian Hotel, the papering having by some means caught. But for the early discovery of the fire and the prompt measures taken to suppress it, the outbreak might have had a serious termination.

Hawke's Bay Herald, 7 June 1898: NAPIER LICENSING BENCH. ANNUAL MEETING. Caledonian Hotel,  from Charles Siddells to James Prosser (Siddells took over the Albion Hotel in September 1898)

1898 Wanganui Herald,  5 August 1898:
CALEDONIAN HOTEL, Corner of Hastings and Dickens' Streets, NAPIER. JAMES PROSSER . . . Proprietor. Best of Accommodation for Travellers and Tourists. Prices Moderate
14 Sep 1898: THEFT. Robert Sommerville, alias Robert Thompson, was charged with having stolen various articles from the Caledonian Hotel, the property of J. H. Prosser. Prisoner, who was undefended, pleaded guilty. He stated that he was drunk at the time and did not know what he was doing. His Honor said there was a long list of previous convictions against the accused, though these were of a petty nature - sentenced to six months' imprisonment with hard labor.
 
1898 Wanganui Herald, 9 December 1898:
For Sale or To Let. FOR SALE— The Goodwill and Lease of Caledonian Hotel, Napier. First class business. Long illness and continued bad health of proprietor sole cause for letting. Apply Mrs James Prosser, Caledonian Hotel, Napier,
 
Hawke's Bay Herald,  5 January 1899:  The Caledonian Hotel has. changed hands. Mr Prosser having sold out his interest to Mr B. Dennehy, of Danevirke, who takes possession to-day.
 
1899 Wanganui Herald, 18 February 1899:
News will be received with regret of tho death about five o'clock this morning of Mrs Jane Eva, the wife of Mr James Prosser, late of Marton, aged 51 years. Mrs Prosser was amongst tho colony's oldest residents, and had endeared herself to many friends. To the husband and family is extended the sincerest sympathy in their sad bereavement. The remains will be taken to Marton for interment in the cemetery there, the funeral having been appointed to leave the Marton railway station on arrival of the mail train from Wanganui on Monday next.
 
Colonist, 11 June 1906: SERIOUS FIRE NAPIER - THE CALEDONIAN HOTEL DESTROYED. Napier June 10: The Caledonian Hotel, owned by the White Swan Brewery Company, and occupied by Mr A. C. Barnes, was completely destroyed by fire last evening. The fire started shortly after 5 p.m. in one of the upstairs rooms, and it spread with great rapidity, completely demolishing the hotel, and the upstairs portions of the business premises of Messrs T. W. Bear, painter; J. C. Jones, a machinist, and the Dresden Piano Company, all of which formed part of the same block of buildings as the hotel. So rapid was the spread of the fire that very little was saved, and most of the boarders lost the whole of their effects, and practically nothing of the contents of the hotel was saved. The insurances on the building amount to £3500, and on the furniture to £1000, but the losses of both the owners and the licensee will be very considerable. The fire is supposed to have been caused by a candle which was left alight in the bedroom for a few minutes while the occupant of the room went downstairs.