Church at Port Arthur
Port Arthur's timber and stone church was built on high ground to overlook the convict settlement, the church could accommodate over one thousand souls at its services. The church was never consecrated, due to its use by prisoners of different denominations, but was representative of the authorities’ goal to reform the convict population through religion. The church was destroyed by fire in 1884 and has undergone repeated conservation work throughout the 20th century.
See Port Arthur Historic Web Sites (1)and (2)