Click Slide menu on left
Mary & John Quaife
John Price Quaife aged 38Y (b: 1812 in the parish of Hernhill, Boughton under Bleam in the district of Faversham; occ: labourer and Methodist missionary; he d: 1891) his wife Mary Ann aged 33Y (b: 1816; d: 23 Oct 1896 bur; Linwood Cemetery) and their 7Y old daugher Mary Ann Calloway Quaife (b: 1843 in Faversham, Swale Borough, Kent England; d: 11 Feb 1852 in 8Y when drowned in the Avon river) immigrated from England, leaving Plymouth Sound on the "Cressy on 7 Sept 1850 and arrived at Lytteltom 27 Dec 1850. Steerage passengers paid £15 each. Cressy Shipboard diary
Src: "Yesteryears 1840-1950" by W A Chambers: History of Methodism in Canterbury;
At the time of the promotion of the Canterbury Association in England, the cleavage between the Church of England and Methodism was not complete. Many "Church Methodists" received Holy Communion in the parish churches and presented their children for Holy Baptism there also. Hence, although the Association required of all intending emigrants a certificate of membership in the established Church, it was not impossible for Methodists also to secure a passage in the First Four Ships. Among those who did so were the Quaifes and Pattricks who came out on the "Cressy", Mr Isaac W. Philpott and his brother John and their families, the Bradleys, Howards, Cresswells, Guilfords on the Castle Eden, Mr Broughton and Mrs Ritchie. These people soon discovered their religious affinities and on settling in the new province requested the Rev. James
Watkin, then Superintendent of the Southern Mission in the Colony, to provide ministerial services. When Watkin visited the settlement in October, 1851, he found that the Wesleyans had not been inactive.
On April 1, of that year in a room of their little whare in Hagley Park, Mrs Quaife, assisted by her husband John and Joseph Pattrick, had opened the first Sunday School on the Plains. Mrs Quaife was threatened with citation before the Church courts because of her zeal in founding a Sunday School annd she and her husband were offered situations on the condition that they renounced Methodism and attached themselves to the Church of England. One clergyman instituted a boycott, but neither threeats nor bribes availed with these determined and faithful souls. (Src: S Albans Church Centenary by Sir E H Andrews)
Later in the year Mr Philpott rented a Maori whare for a half crown per week, and thence the school was transferred. By the end of the year the Hagley Park families were scattered abroad and the activities of the little school were interrupted for a time until it was reorganized by the Quaife's at their new home in Papanui until their settlement on their holding at St Albans in 1853 where the Patricks, Philpotts, John Broughton, Guilfords, and other Methodists had already settled. Prayer meetings were also held in the St. Albans' area, in the houses of Messrs. Samuel Bradley, Quaife, Philpott or Pattrick.
Star 26 May 1908, Page 3
Hagley Park (south)
Mr John Price Quaife died at his residence St Albans after being an invalid for the past 2 years at age of 79. Mr Quaife was a native of Kent where his ancestors had been yeomen for many generations. In Canterbury he followed agricultural pursuits for many years thereby securing a cometency. He leaves a widow - his only daughter was the victim of a drowning accident in the Avon river, Hagley Park where they had their whare (this spot is marked by a stone)
Images and data used in this site copyright -