Daniel McInnes's Ancestors
Research by Beverley McInnes
Gen 1:  NEIL McINNES (b: 1765 in Fean, Island of Coll, Argyllshire, Scotland) Mar: 1786 in Coll Parish of Tyree, Scotland to Christy McMillan

Their family:  unknown (b:1787); Donald (Daniel) McInnes (b: 1790); Neil McInnes (b: 1792); John McInnes (b: 1794); Anne McInnes (b: 1803)

Gen 2: DONALD (DANIEL) McINNES, (b. 1790, Island of Coll, Scotland); Occ: "cotter"; mar. 3 Mar 1825 to ANN McLEAN,  on the Island of Coll, Scotland, a small island to the west of Glasgow. Their children;

i. NEIL McINNES (b. 02 Dec 1830, Cornaig Bay, Isle of Coll, Scotland; d. 30 Nov 1891, Milton) He did not marry

ii. LACHLAN McINNES, (b. 27 Apr 1833, Knockleathan Isle of Coll, Scotland)

iii. JOHN McINNES, (b. 18 Feb 1834, Island of Coll, Scotland; d. 28 Apr 1912, Milton); mar: (1) MARION McGILVRAY, (b: 27 May 1859; d. 09 Aug 1860)

SBC: Sarah McInnes (d: 1860)

mar: (2) MARY McCALLUM, 26 Dec 1861, Rothesay, Bute; (b. 31 Jan 1834, Ballachrae, Rothesay, Scotland; d. 09 Jun 1918, Milton)

in 1883 John McInnis, with wife Mary and their 4 children Malcolm 21, Daniel 17, Christina 14, and John 12, along with John's brother Neil decided immigrate to New Zealand. They left 9th Jan from Glasgow on their ill-fated ship, the "Wild Deer"  and 3 days later,  in darkness struck the North Rock, Cloughy, County Down, Ireland. The passengers and crew were safely landed next morning and cottagers supplied the ship-wrecked survivors with food, clothing and shelter. They were taken by train to Belfast and then returned by steamer to Glasgow arriving back just one week from the day they left.

A month after the loss of the Wild Deer on the Irish Coast, in 1883, the Caroline, a fine powerful ship of 984 tons, chartered by the Shaw Savill Co., sailed from Greenock with 240 out of 300 of the passengers rescued from the wreck of the Wild Deer, and had a favourable passage to Port Chalmers. The Caroline sailed on February 19, under the command of Captain Hardy, and arrived at her destination on May 23, 1883, after a good run of 92 days, port to port, and 82 land to land. She crossed the equator when 21 days out from Scilly, rounded the Cape on April 19, and sighted Stewart's Island on May 21. White Wings - Sir Henry Brett

John lived all his life in Milton and worked as a labourer. One of John's prized horses "Dexter" was requisitioned to go to South Africa during the Boer War. After 46 years in NZ he died in 1929 and was buried in the Milton Fairfax Cemetery. His wife Mary died in 1918 at Milton after several years of illness. She is also buried in the Fairfax cemetery along with Neil who died in 1891.

Gen 3:  Their children:

i Malcolm McInnes b: 12 Nov 1862 in Rothesay, Bute; Occ. Wool Drier; d: 03 Mar 1923 in Temuka late of Milton Bur: Temuka Cemetery

Malcolm worked at both the Winchester Wool Scouring works and later at the Bruce Woollen mills shortly after its establishment where he was employed for more than 25 years.

The Bruce Woollen Manufacturing Co was established in 1897, to scour, card and spin and weave wool into yarn, blankets, rugs and clothing fabric. Bought by Alliance Textiles in 1962, the mill closed 37 years later in 1999, before it was bought by QualitYarns Ltd.

After working in the drying room of the Mills, he became extremely dehydrated and died from illness incurred in 1923.

ii Ann McInnes b: 23 Oct 1864 in Rothesay, Bute d: 15 Aug 1865 in Rothesay, Bute

iii Daniel McInnes (b: 26 Sep 1866 in Rothesay, Bute d: 18 Jul 1932 in Temuka; Bur: Temuka Cem) mar: 8 Sep 1891 in Temuka to Lucy Harriet Benbow (b: 01 May 1868 in "Ladymoor" Waitohi; d: 25 Jan 1955 in Auckland)

iv Christina (Teenie) McInnes (b: 13 Jun 1869 in Rothesay, Bute; d: 08 Feb 1930 in Milton; Burial: Fairfax Cemetery, Milton) mar: 1907 to James Meek (b: 01 Sep 1868 Occ: Dealer of Waimate; Drowned at Kurow 17 Aug 1915)

James's father Thomas (b: Lanarkshire. Scotland, d: 1905 Vancouver). He immigrated with his brother James on the "Electric" in 1863.  In 1866 he mar: Jane Hurst and had three sons and three daughters.

The brothers went into the milling business in Oamaru in 1867 and 1872 the firm purchased the Crown Mills. In 1883 they erected a large building known as the Elevator for storing grain on the American system in bulk. Thomas was connected with many Oamaru enterprises - chairman of the Oamaru Woollen Factory Companv,was chairman of and active in promoting the New Zealand Flourmillers' Association, served for some years on tho Oamaru Borough Council and for 10 years was on the Harbour Board, a promoter of the Meadowbank Bowling Club, a director of the North Otago A. and P. Association in the early days, director of the Caledonian Society, and a manager of St. Paul's Church.

v Archibald McInnes (b: 04 Apr 1873 in Rothesay, Bute; d: 09 Jul 1881 in 5 Columshill Street Rothesay; Isle of Bute Scotland)

vi John McInnes (b: 05 May 1871 in Rothesay, Bute; d: 28 Sep 1919 in Winchester, Temuka)

John, a carpenter, went from Milton to Geraldine about Aug 1896 but lacking capital became bankrupt a year when  unable to meet his debts.

He found employment as a wool classer working at the Wool Scouring works at Winchester owned by Daniel McCaskill who had been b: 1869 at Milton.

"The works were established in 1869 and erected on the banks of a stream of soft water, close to the railway station, and fitted up with the latest improved machinery. The drying area was immune from contamination by any foreign matter. McCaskill employed between ten to sixteen hands all the year and scoured from 1200 to 1500 bales of greasy wool  annually, and treated about 50,000 sheepskins in the fellmongery - the pelts being cured at the works.        Src: Canty Cyclopedia"

After Daniel McCaskill's in 1905, John McInnes purchased the works which he operated until his death in 1919.

OBITUARY. Mr John McInnes. The death occurred at a private hospital in Timaru on Sunday, of Mr John McInnes, of Winchester. About twelve months ago, along with Mr J. Coxer, of Winchester, the deceased met with an accident, and it was as a result of this that he passed away. He had  recovered sufficiently to resume his business, but it was found necessary for him to return to the hospital for further treatment. He underwent an operation at the end of last week which was successful, but he failed to rally. The late Mr Mclnnes was born in Scotland 48 years ago, and came to New Zealand with his parents when 12 years of age. He was educated at the Milton High Sehool, and later came to Temuka and went to work for the late Mr Peter McCaskill at his Winchester wool works. Later he acquired the works and also had an interest in a station. He was a member of the Winchester Domain Board, and School Committee, and chairman of the South Canterbury Picture Company. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon at Temuka, the Rev. C. Macdonald conducting the service. The late Mr Mclnnes leaves a sister (Mrs Meeks, of Milton), and two brothers (Messrs Malcolm and Daniel Mclnnes, of Temuka).

vii Michael McInnes (b: 1880 in 4 Bishop Street Rothesay, Bute, Argyllshire)

Images and data used in this site copyright -