The Alexandra Hotel was purchased by L D Natham and Co in 1879 and extensive renovations were carried out - this may have been when it's name was changed to the Alexandra Hotel. Thomas Finch was the publican for many years with several short breaks, until his death in 1892 and after, his wife continued to run the hotal until 1908 when Mr L A Higgans became the publican. Other known publicans were William McCarthy (1914) and James Powel (1918).
Mr Allan E Hood was proprieter, when on 13th June 1932, the hotel was destroyed by fire. A single story hotel was then built on the same site - see bottom of this page.
Index - Finch Family Pages
Thomas Finch Obituary
The Pirongia Hotel as it looks today