Click each hotel for information page
 
 
 
Previous owner - Charles Meritt
Purchase: John and James Prosser
James Prosser - license Jul 1868
License Samuel Prosser Mar 1875 - Jun 1876 
 
 
>
 
License to H Bennett  
Star Hotel 1889 built on on same site
 
License Sept 1874 to John Prosser - License James Prosser Jan 1875 - License Feb 1876 to Fred Bright
Club Hotel, Marton -  G V Stewart   
 Wm Prosser is Mgr  5 Feb 1875
James Prosser  - Aug 1876 -
Licence to  Jun 1879 W F Baker
Licence James Prosser Feb 1880
License to James Crawford
Burnt down May 1887
 
Panama Hotel Wellington Cnr Taranaki St and Ingestre St (Photo 1875) 
Owner Hon John Martin.  
License to John Prosser Feb 1888 who rebuilt and refurnished it
License to James Prosser May 1889 
License Jul 1889 to Thomas Taylor
 
Travellers Rest Hotel, Taita, Hutt
George Buck was "mine host" at the Travellers' Rest, which stood opposite Taita Hotel, in 1852
William Prosser License 13 Mar 1878-
 License to George Wiltshire  Also known as the Honeymoon Cottage,
 
Whenuakura Hotel
(bet.Patea & Hawera)
Previous licensee Thomas Lloyd
 William Prosser 6 Dec 1876 -1876
 
Cnr High and Union St, Hawera
Built by Theodore Espagne 1874
License to John Prosser 30 Aug 1876 
License Aug 1882 Edward Roskrudge
 
Whitewoods, Hutt 
John Prosser Jul 1873 - Sep 1874
Central Hotel built on site.
 
Empire Hotel Opunake Built by John Prosser -  Stable run by Thomas Prosser Samuel Prosser licensee from 6 Dec 1881 to May 1885 when it
burnt down - unable to rebuild
Licence to James Crawford Club Hotel
James Prosser Club Hotel from Watts 3 Jan 1885 
 
Bridge Hotel Waitara
Previous owner Wm Tutty
 John Prosser 11 Jun 1883 -Burnt down night before takeover. He rebuilt it and reopened 14 Dec 1883
31 Jul 1884 License to S Nicols
 
Railway Hotel Hawera
John Prosser - 21 Jan 1890
28 Mar 1893 Licence to Miss K G  McCollum
 
 
Built by Rbt Elliotte 1880.
Previous owner Charles Giles
John Prosser License Nov 1891
Licence to Mrs Hamilton Oct 1892
Closed 2005 after 125 yrs trading
Burnt down 2009
 
Owner Twentyman Wilson Dec 1891
Licence to John Prosser 1892 - 1896
 
(1) Junction Hotel Pauatahnui
Bould to Samuel Prosser May 1876
License Mar 1877 to H. Hillers.
(2) Royal Mail Hotel 1876 Built by Samuel Prosser Later called Empire Hotel Licensed out - owner Samuel Prosser sells Jun 1887 
 
Previous licensee John Duncan Fraser
Samuel Prosser License 2Dec 1879
24 Feb 1881 License to Walter Beyer
 
Colyton Hotel -  James Prosser family 
 Previous Licence holder - G Nicholas 
Aug 1899 License to James Prosser Dec 1900 License to James McErlean, Taihape
Burnt down 2/6/1904 - not rebuilt 
 
Imperial Hotel: 26 rooms
Previous Owner - Ed Ashton
License James Prosser  Sept 1887 May 1888  License to Wm Smith Campbell
 
Opunake Club  Hotel
Watts 3 Jan 1885 to James Prosser
Samuel Prosser License 1886
 Jas Crawford License Mar 9 1886
It burnt down 16 Apr 1887
Samuel Prosser  Licence Abt 1892
 Feb 1893 License to Thomas  Knowles
 
Branch Hotel, Lambton Quay, Wellington
James Marton License Feb 1888
License  Jul 1888 to P Spollan
 
Caledonian cnr Hastings & Dickens Sts
This Photo is of th hotel rebuilt after 1906 fire. Destroyed 1931 Napier Earthquake.
James Prosser March to Dec 1898
 
 
 

All images and data used in this site are copyright -

Descendant input to up-date family pages is very welcome and more detailed information is available to family on request.
Acknowledgement must be given to this research source and no content may be published without permission.