Sarah was the daughter of Samuel and Sarah Strand, a farmer at Yew Tree Farm, Aldham.
On the 9th of August 1850, William Cone married for a second time to Caroline Adams, spinster of Aldham. There were to be no children from this marriage.
In the 1851 census for Aldham it was noted occupying the Farm -
William Cone - Head of family, Married aged 36; Farmer of 70 acres and 2 men; born Aldham, Suffolk.
New wife Caroline did not meet with the relation's approval and just under a year after their marriage, William decided to sell and immigrate to New Zealand. William Cone, Caroline, and the four children left from Gravesend, London on the sailing ship "Bangalore" on the 9th May. Caroline and Sarah Ann were both ill on the voyage.(Diary) There were just 159 passengers even though the Bangalore could carry 250. Some immigrants preferred to wait for the next two ships which sailed not long afterwards so the vessel was not overcrowded. The Bangalore arrived at Lyttelton on the afternoon of Thursday, 21st August 1851, after a voyage of 104 days.
The family stayed for a short time at the Lyttelton Immigration Barracks which are in the centre of this William Fox painting, before starting their ascent of the Bridle Path to Christchurch plains below.
Search for images of Canterbury at The National Library of New Zealand
The family settled down at the Ferry Road close to the Heathcote River in one of the very first wooden permanent houses erected in Christchurch. William bought if from the ship's captain who had brought it from England, pre-cut in sections ready for erecting. It is not known if this was from the Captain of the Bangalore but it was packed over the Bridle Path and put together by the side of the Heathcote river on Ferry Road, and close to the old Ferry, and the family moved in. In those days scores of small ships used to bring cargo from Lyttelton up the Heathcote. It is thought that William did contracting work, carting goods from small ships berthed at the Ferry as he kept horses.
An inquest was held at the Heathcote Arms at the Ferry, the first held in Christchurch and it was presided over by Dr Donald, the Coroner and 13 jurymen on the 5th of June 1852. The "Lyttelton Times" reported on 5th June 1852 -
"An inquest was held today at the Heathcote Arms at the Ferry before the Coroner Mr McDonald and thirteen Jurymen on the body of William Cone who fell from his horse on Wednesday night on the road between Mr Townsend and the Ferry and was killed on the spot, his neck being broken.
Mr Parker and Mr Fairfield gave evidence with respect to the melancoly event. The coroner recapitulated the Evidence and verdict of accidental death was returned. It was added that it is desired that a more efficient means should be taken to render the road safe and fit for travelling."
William Cone was buried in the Barbadoes Street Cemetery on the 7th of June 1852 in what was termed the Plantation Plot. William was the 20th person buried there.A plaque has been placed on his grave to commemorate the 150 years since the family's arrival in Canterbury.
William did not live long enough to see much of New Zealand and the family were left in the care of their stepmother, Caroline.
At the Cone Reunion, 2001, descendants gathered at Barbadoes Cemetery to participate in the planting of a tree on the previously unmarked grave of William Cone and the following year, g-g-grandsons Ron Cone and Ken Cree, again called the family to witness the unveiling of a plaque in honour of their pioneer ancestor. It reads -
William Bullock Cone
born 1815 Cratfield, Suffolk, England
Died Result of an Accident 3 June 1852 Christchurch
Arrived Lyttelton on "Bangalore" 21 August 1851
with his wife Caroline and Family
William, Frederick, George and Sarah Ann
Erected by his Descendants June 2002
Images and data
used in this site copyright - ©
Descendant input to up-date family pages is very welcome - more detailed information available on request