Elizabeth Annie Pelvin
ELIZABETH ANNIE (NAN) PELVIN was b: 08 Aug 1896 in Glenavy, In 1917 she was a machinist living 7 Bath St., ChristChurch. She mar: 12 Jul 1922 in St Davids Church, Sydenham to WILLIAM DONALDSON BRUNSDEN, son of WILLIAM BRUNSDEN and ELIZABETH ALLISON. Witnesses to marriage: Charles Bourke, storekeeper, Lincoln; and sister Irene Pelvin, Tawai, Glenavy; minister J D Webster. William was b: 1889 in Avonside, Christchurch, and died 1956.
School Records: PELVIN Anne; School
Tawai; Admission Date 4 Nov 1901; Parent / Guardian Mr Charles Pelvin;
The Lauriston store and post office had originally opened in March 1880 and James Den whose farm adjoined was appointed Postmaster. William Brunsden succeeded a Mr Smith in Aug 1922. Mail was dispatched at 7.17 am with an extra mail at 7.20 pm daily plus on two days a week at 10.30 am. Salary £25. In February 1925 the Health Department placed the Postmaster and his family in isolation because of the outbreak of Poliomyelitus
1925 - Ashburton Guardian 17/2/1925:
The Paralysis Epidemic,Case Lauriston
1925 - Ashburton Guardian
1925 Ashburton Guardian
The Brunsdens played an active role in the community - 13 June 1929: W Brunsden elected to Lauriston Soldiers Memorial Hall Comittee previous meeting held in Mr Brunsden's shop, and in the years 1929 - 30; 1932 -36 - W D Brunsden is president of the Laureston Cricket club and W D Brunsden elected to School Committee 1st June 1931 and 22 in July Mrs W D Brunsden elected to the committee of the Country Women's Institute.
Memories - Doug Fyfe reminescing on school days at Laureston 1920's & 1930's remembers Mr Brunsden donating a tin of boiled sweets for the annual school picnic. A real treat in those days. The Brunsdens owned one of the first radios in the district - a colonel Model Majestic.
The Lauriston Store was sold by Bill (snr) in 1936 and the family moved to Australia for young Bill to get polio treatment from Sister Kenny and a farewell Social was held
Ashburton Guardian Newspaper 26/4/1937.
The Lauriston Hall was filled to capacity on Thursday evening on the
occasion of a farewell social tendered to Mr and Mrs W D Brunsden and
their son Billy. The evening was devoted to dancing, the music being
supplied by Cook's orchestra (Lydhurst) with extras by Mr S Drew and Mr J
Cretney.The duties of Masters of Ceremonies were performed by Messrs R F
Letham and H Farquhar.
(The next polio threat, New Zealand schools closed in October 1947 and re opened April 1948. Correspondence. Lessons were sent to the pupils' homes for the month of February.) Research by Julie Rush