ALFRED PELVIN was Richard and Elizabeth's 3rd son. He was born 21 Apr 1863 in Maidstone, Kent, England where his father was employed by the West Kent Militia at Tunbridge Wells. His baptism was solemnised 31 May 1863 in the Tunbridge Road Maidstone Wesleyan Methodist Chapel by the Rev. Joshua Priestly (if you click the church image - it will enlarge).
Alf was 2 months old when his family sailed - his name is not recorded among the 420 immigrants with his parents and two brothers Henry and Richard and sister Rose on board the sailing ship "Lancashire Witch" that left London for Lyttelton on 4th July 1863. Shortly after departure, scarlet fever broke out causing the deaths of three adults and 23 children who were buried at sea. That Alf stayed safe speaks volumes for the care Elizabeth, his mother exercised - she and father Richard assisted the doctor. The commander Captain West, called at Capetown for fresh provisions but disease on board prevented any passengers being permitted to land. Despite the diversion, the ship made the passage to Timaru in 93 days arriving at Timaru 10/10/1863 where the Pelvins and some other passengers were landed. The ship then proceeded to Lyttelton where on arrival, it was immediately placed in quarantine.
While their house was being built, the Pelvin family were housed at the Timaru Immigration Barracks where Richard was appointed Barrack master. They settled on their farm at Claremont - here the Pelvin children first received private schooling and later were educated at the newly built Claremont school built in 1878.
1881 Wright's Australian and American Commercial Directory and Gazetteer, Makikihi, Canterbury, 18 miles S. from Timaru, Waimate County. The population is 320. There are 3 Blacksmiths - W. Gleich; Alfred Pelvin (18Y); George Vale
In 1882, Richard Pelvin purchased Sections in close proximity to Redcliff Road, an area totalling 595 acres - his farm was known as "Sabroan Farm". (16 miles from Waimate and 10 miles from Glenavy.)
MARRIAGE: On the 8th Dec 1886, Alfred mar: MARY ROBERTSON BRUCE at the home of her parents at Mill Road, Waimate - witnesses were Alf's brother Richard Charles Pelvin of Waitaki North and Margaret Werges of Waimate
Mary was the daughter of JAMES BRUCE and ANN CALDER (b: 29 Nov 1863 in Springburn, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, she arrived 6th Feb 1878 at Port Chalmers, Otago in New Zealand on the ship "Wellington". She d: 24 May 1926 aged 62 years in Waimate Hospital; bur: 26 May 1926, Waimate Old Cem. Plot 329) Click here for Alfred and Mary Pelvin's 8 children
1887: Alfred competed in the Waimate Caledonian Sports on Boxing day, 26th December
10 Apr 1891; Alf Pelvin applied to the Oamaru Council to erect a blacksmith's shop on a section facing Thames St. North.
15 June 1891: Oamaru Mail: A. PELVIN Begs to Announce that he has COMMENCED BUSINESS as Horse-Shoer, GENERAL BLACKSMITH, Wheelwright, and Machinest, Next Door to Shamrock Hotel, Thames Street. All kinds of Implements Made and Repaired. Horses Carefully Shod.
1892 NEW ZEALAND DIRECTORY. Pelvin Alfred, blacksmith, Thames St. Oamaru; Pelvin Alfred, residence Exe street, Oamaru
1893 Mary Pelvin's registered her vote in the womans first electoral roll for the Oamaru Electorate - residence living at Exe Street, Occ: wife.
By 1893 Alf Pelvin was finding difficulty in meeting the financial committments of his outlay and costs of running his business several creditors resorted to court action for payment of goods supplied.
In MAY 1894, Alf's father Richard purchased sections and buildings at Glenavy and Alf moved from Exe Street Oamaru with his family to take up residence and run his blacksmith business at Glenavy
Over many years Alf was a popular MC for well attended Glenavy evening events and both he and his wife assisted entertainment with songs and recitations He was valued for his support of community affairs - appointed on committees of the Waitaki North Domain Board; Trustee of Waitaki Nth Cemetery Board serving 1897 until 1906; elected on committee of Waitaki North (Glenavy) school 1894; The Glenavy Mutual Improvement Society; trustee for the Glenavy library etc
11 NOV 1897: STAR; Sale of Township Crown Lands; At an auction sale of sections in the Glenavy township, Waitaki survey district at the Board-room of the District Land and Survey Office, Christchurch. Sold : Section 27, one rood to Alfred Pelvin, £10;
29 Sept 1899; Timaru Herald: "WE, the Undersigned Blacksmiths, have agreed, owing to the large increase in the Price of Bar-iron, to RAISE the Price of SHOEING from the present rate, 5s, 6s, and 7s, to 6s, 7s, and 8s per set. Steeling Toes is extra per set, and also strictly adhere to catalogue prices for all parts and fittings. Freight added as enumerated in the respective Catalogues, to take effect from Oct. 2 1899: A. Pelvin and J. Thompson, Glenavy.
Alf was interested in owning and the breeding of Clydesdale horses, a heavy draught horse that originated from Scotland that were imported to New Zealand for farm use and valued for their pulling power and endurance.
Canterbury Cyclopedia - Glenavy, formerly known as Waitaki, is situated in the Waihao riding of the Waimate county, about a mile to the northward of the fine bridge over the Waitaki river. This bridge is three-quarters of a mile in length. It is used for road traffic, and has a gate at each end, under the control of a caretaker. The township consists of a fine hotel, two stores, a blacksmith's shop, saddler's shop, a railway station and post office combined, a church and hall combined, a public school, and a police station. A monthly sale of stock is held at the sale-yards attached to the Glencoe Hotel, and is largely attended by settlers from the surrounding districts. The railway station, stands at an elevation of seventy-four feet above sea level, and is ninety-three miles from Dunedin and 138 from Christchurch. At the census of 1901 the population of the village was set down at ninety-eight. The flat land in the neighbourhood yields excellent pasturage, though it is covered somewhat thickly with large water-worn pebbles. Glenavy is a convenient resort for anglers, who visit the Waitaki river, which abounds in fine trout.
12 May 1903: NTH OTAGO TIMES: Auction: Messrs Guinness and LeCren (Limited) report sale of town properties at Waimate - Lot 1, three sections at Glenavy, on account of Mr A. Pelvin, to Mr M'Innerny, together, with blacksmith's shop, etc., and house, at £285; (the same buyer purchased lot 2, a ¼ acre section adjoining, for £l8.)
20 MAY 1903: NTH OTAGO TIMES, Our Glenavy correspondent writes: At a public meeting, held in the schoolhouse, on Saturday night last, a strong committee was formed with a view of working up a farewell social to Mr A. E. Pelvin, who is about to leave Glenavy.. With the forces available, l venture to predict a great-turnout of the folks in the district, who will not lose this opportunity of farewelling one who always gave his services fully and freely for everything, ungrudgingly.
16 Sept 1903: Otago Witness: WEEKLY LIVE STOCK AND PRODUCE REPORT. Mr A. Pelvin bought a three-year-old gelding for £17
30 Sep 1904: THE COURTS -TO-DAY. MAGISTRATES COURT: (Before G. Crookshank, Esq., SJM.) Thomson, Bridger, and Co. v. Alfred Pelvin (Glenavy).—Claim, £lO 19s 3d, goods supplied. Mr Moore for plaintiffs.— Judgment, with 40s 6d costs